Anxiety is an integral part of our lives. Especially for working people who have a lot of things every day. If I think that the work I’m working on will work, I’m worried at work, but at home I’m worried about my life planning. Really, every day is full of anxiety. This time, I will introduce how to deal with anxiety and how to eliminate anxiety from a psychological point of view.
Characteristics of the way of thinking of people who accumulate anxiety
Anxiety is reflected in everyone’s heart. There is no choice but to be anxious in modern society. In today’s world of uncertainties, it’s normal for anxiety to occur.
What is important is whether or not the anxiety that is born can be resolved. And there is a characteristic in the way of thinking of people who accumulate anxiety . One of the characteristics of people who tend to be anxious is that they keep thinking about their anxiety .
When you feel anxious, do you keep thinking about the cause of anxiety and anxiety for a long time? Keeping thinking about anxiety is a bad feature of people who tend to drag anxiety.
Humans are said to recognize the world by self-projection. When you feel good, the world looks bright and promising, but when you don’t feel good, the world looks dark. If you keep thinking about anxiety, the world you see will become dark and anxious, and you will not be able to eliminate your anxiety, creating a negative chain.
So what can you do to get rid of your anxiety? It’s surprisingly easy to do.
- Correctly grasp anxiety
- Keep away from anxiety
Anxiety can be alleviated or eliminated in two steps: “grasp” and “keep a distance” . I will explain the specific method.
Correctly grasp anxiety
Isn’t a little thing a trigger for vague anxiety? The coping method when “I don’t understand, but I feel anxious” is ” to grasp the anxious feelings correctly” . Here are two specific ways to understand your anxiety.
How to grasp anxiety 1: Verbalize anxiety
Have you ever confided your worries to a friend and felt better by the time you finished talking? Verbalizing anxiety and worries has the effect of relieving mental stress . In addition, verbalizing anxiety also has the effect of enhancing the body’s immune function. If you feel anxious, try writing it out or talking to a friend to put it into words.
If you have an anxious personality, you may be able to spend your days comfortably by keeping a diary and writing down what you feel anxious about . It only takes about 10 minutes, so take some time somewhere in the day and write a diary. If you spit out anxiety little by little every day, you will not accumulate anxiety.
How to Understand Anxiety 2: Focusing
Focusing is a psychotherapy revealed by clinical psychologist Eugene Gendlin. Focusing relieves anxiety by focusing on anxiety . The procedure is as follows.
- Think of the feelings of anxiety in your mind, and imagine the place and size of the anxiety.
- Based on the size I imagined, I muttered many times in my heart, “There is a mass of anxiety about XX cm in diameter in XX part of the body.”
- The magnitude of anxiety gradually shrinks. If you feel that it has shrunk, repeat steps 1 and 2.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 until you no longer feel anxious
It may be hard to believe that the anxiety really disappears, but Focusing is a good psychotherapy. Emotions are naturally resolved by “feeling exhausted” . Focusing uses the characteristics of emotions to focus on anxious feelings and make them feel less anxious . The “verbalization” introduced above may also be a kind of Focusing.
Keep away from anxiety
Lastly, I would like to introduce a method for relieving anxiety , which is to “remove anxiety .” If you can get away from anxiety, self-projection will not make the world look dark and you will be able to regain your composure.
Mindfulness meditation is a concrete way to get rid of anxiety . Mindfulness is, in a nutshell, the concept of “appropriately noticing what is happening here.” The purpose is to avoid anxiety by focusing on one’s senses and eliminating all emotions that come to mind. The procedure is as follows.
- Stretch your back and sit on a chair. Or put cross-legged on a cushion and stretch your back. Place your palms face up and gently in front of your body.
- Close your eyes and take a slow, deep breath (no need to take a big breath).
- Keep conscious of one point on the tip of the nose and continue breathing while feeling the air coming in and out.
- Whenever various thoughts come to mind, return the consciousness to the tip of the nose. You don’t have to do your best to “become nothing” like in zazen, but when you have a thought, you can realize that “Oh, I thought about …” and regain consciousness at the tip of your nose.
- When it becomes difficult to return consciousness to the tip of the nose due to strong thoughts, be aware of the feeling of swelling of the abdomen with air and denting when the air goes out.
- Repeat this for about 5 to 10 minutes (you can do it as long as time allows).
Being able to do mindfulness and temporarily distance yourself from all emotions should ease your anxiety a little. Doing mindfulness several times a day will reduce your anxiety and worry and make you feel more relaxed than before.
If you have anxiety for a long time, you may be eroded not only in your mind but also in your body. We hope that you will implement the methods for dealing with anxiety and relieving anxiety introduced in this article so as not to upset your physical and mental balance, and make use of them in your real life.
Tips to overcome anxious